Whitehall
Community ID
 
1050
 
Alternate Names
 
White Hall, Ilchester, Holy Trinity, La Blanchesale in 1281, Nywe Halle in 1370
 
Town
 
West Bath
 
Diocese
 
West Bath
 
Region
 
Somershire
 
Modern Location
 
Ilchester
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Holy Trinity
 
Date Founded
 
1217-20
 
Date Terminated
 
1463 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by William Dennis, Dacus of Sock Dennis as a hospice for travelers and pilgrims originally served by brothers and sisters. The community includes a Pioress and nuns by 1281.

 
Notable Heads
 

Atteyerde, Clilthorne, Draycote, Mary, Matilda, Margaret, Marjory, Christina

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Agnes Champflour, in 1334, Agnes de Wynterbourn in 1334, Joan Whyttock in 1423, Simonis, wife of Gilbert Passeware: corrody sits with Prioress and wears habit and veil in about 1350.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 3 in 1334, according to Knowles and Hadcock; 2 in 1377 and 2 in 1423.

 
Visitations
 

There was a visitation in 1313 and throughout the 14th century the bishop and crown intervene in elections.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Benefactors were the de Bolleville family in the early 14th century, the founder, Dacock of Sock in the 13th century, and William, Abbott of Cerne.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

In 1313 wardens were found to have wasted property and were replaced.

 
Assets/Property
 

The community had land holdings in West Bath, Taunton, and Sock. It also owned urban property in West Bath and a church. In 1535 the community's property in West Bath was worth more than 15 pounds. Problems of maladministraton led the community to poverty between 1313 and 1334.

 
Charitable/Work
 

[chapel/capital] S. Mary Minor, building 1227-8, [porter/patronage/painter] to community , as indicated in Document 2 , 1237

 
Litigations
 

Wardens were found to have wasted property and were replaced in 1313.

 
Early Documents
 

[1]Foundation document dating from about 1217-20.
[2]The second known document records the donation of a church to the community in 1237.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

First order was Augustinian

 
Admin. Notes
 

mad 6/10/97

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

The community apparently had trouble with mismanagment : 4 Prioresses were dismissed for incompetence in the 14th century.

 
Date Started
 
1217
 
Date Finished
 
1463
 
Length
 
1314