Wenlock
Community ID
 
2801
 
Alternate Names
 
St. Milburga's
 
Date Founded
 
690 or before
 
Date Terminated
 
1066 or before; A 901 charter is the last evidence of women residing at this double monastery
 
Foundation Information
 

Wenlock was originally created as a dependency of Icanho in the last part of the 7th century.

 
Notable Heads
 

Mildburga, daughter of Merewald, king of the Magonsaetan acquired control of it soon after this. She may have still been abbess in the 710's and 720's.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

A letter from St. Boniface makes reference to the congregation in 716. This mixed community may have been ruled by an abbot in the 9th century (Veiled Women, vol. 1, 62). While the male portion of the community seems to have continued up to the conquest, there is no mention of women at Wenlock past 901 when five women witnessed a charter in which the double house regained land previously given to the king.

 
Admin. Notes
 

The region on this community needs to be verified. Foot lists it as located in Shropshire.

 
Contributors
 
Ruth Robbins
 
Date Started
 
690
 
Date Finished
 
1066