Wallingwells
Community ID
 
1035
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mary of the Park; De Parco
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Nottinghamshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Carlton in Lindrick by the Wells
 
Modern Location
 
Wallingwells
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1144 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedicine
 
Foundation Information
 

S. Thompson lists Ralph de Chevercourt as the probable founder in the age of Stephen(Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 230).

 
Population Counts
 

After the suppression in 1539 the prioress and 8 nuns were granted pensions (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 220).

 
Visitations
 

In 1536 Legh and Layton made a visitation to the nunnery and made no injunctions. They did note the existence of a comb supposedly belonging to S. Edmund and an image of the Virgin that was found at the foundation.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the community's net income was valued at over 58 pounds.

 
Litigations
 

In 1247 the prioress accused Thomas de Lyncoln and his wife Juliana of blocking the nuns from using a highway in Carlton, but the jury found against the nuns.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

After the priory was surrendered Walingwells Estate was built over its remains.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent payed a heavy fine, £66 13s. 4d., which allowed the community to continue at the suppression of lesser monasteries in 1536. It was finally suppressed in 1539 (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 220). In 1537 the prioress, Margaret Goldsmith, entered into a partnership with Richard Oglethorpe in which the prioress essentially transfered the priory and its holdings to him for a lease of 21 years in exchange for wages, foodstuffs and other necessities being delivered to the nuns on a yearly basis.

 
Admin. Notes
 

mad 6/12/97
[V0925]
Miscellaneous information--FIN NOT NEEDED AGAIN BUTWHAT DO WE MAKE OF THIS SECULAR?

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1144
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
955