Tempul na Cailleachdubh
Community ID
 
1139
 
Alternate Names
 
Farraneglish
 
Diocese
 
Ossory
 
Region
 
Laois
 
Modern Location
 
about a mile east of Aghaboe in barony of Upper Ossory; Farraneglish Glebe (OS 23: 13: 2)
 
Assets/Property
 

two small dependent chapels

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Round tower and ruins in 1786 according to Monasticon hibernicum, or, A history of the abbeys, priories, and other religious houses in Ireland : interspersed with memoirs of their several founders and benefactors, and of their abbots and other superiors, to the time of their final suppression; however, P. O'Keeffe in his Ordinance Survey letter remarks:
"There were two cells each above a mile distant, dependent on the Monastery of Aghaboe, one in the lands of Farran Eglish for females and from the black colour of their clothes, was named Teampul na Cailleachdubh, or church of the Black Women. The other was in Ballygowden for males. Mr. Archdall is mistaken in saying there is a round tower at Teampul na Cailleachduibh; there are no remains of such. As I supplied him with all his information concerning Aghaboe, he must have relied on some other authority...See Ledwich's description of this Nunnery above, where he refuts Archdall's assertion of the existence of a round tower there." Ref. above is probably to Antiquities of Ireland.
Archaeological Inventory of County Laois notes at Farraneglish, same location: Church in ruins in lowlying area, N of roadway, incorrectly marked on 1909 OS map. Rectangular late medieval church (approx. 14.7m x 6.6m), aligned NW-SE, made of limestone, heavily overgrown with ivy. Remains include S wall about 1.1m high, clipped by modern roadway; W gable 3.8m; and N wall 1.5m with base-batter and large window at W end. Intrior of church full of masonry. Architectural fragments visible base of N wall and in field boundary wall to SE. Local info suggests a graveyard in field known as "the Church Field" to N, and human bones were uncovered during ploughing in 1950s.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
R. Eickwort, Pete Schermerhorn
 
Length
 
116