Tarrant
Community ID
 
893
 
Alternate Names
 
Tarrant Keynes, Tarrant Kaines, White Nuns of Camestrum, Tarent , Tarenta, Tarrent.
 
Town
 
Salisbury
 
Diocese
 
Salisbury
 
Region
 
Dorsetshire
 
Modern Location
 
Tarrant Kaines; 1 1/2 miles south-east of Charlton Marshall, route 350
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary and All Saints
 
Date Founded
 
1196 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine originally?/Cistercian in 1228
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded for 3 noble women and their servants, without a rule and as a cell. In 1228 it becomes a Cistercian Abbey. According to Nichols, it was founded first as an anchorage for 3 sisters around 1186 by Ralph de Kahaynes and later settled as a Cistercian abbey before 1228 by Richard le Poore, bishop of Salisbury (Medieval English Cistercian Nunneries: Their Art and Physical Remains, 176).

 
Population Counts
 

The nuns had probably increased to at least 40 by 1291. The convent was surrendered in 1539 by the abbess, the sub-prioress, and 18 nuns (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 226).

 
Visitations
 

A decree of 1243 entrusted the correction and reform of the nuns to the Cistercian abbots of Boxley and Robertsbridge (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 96).

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Richard Poore (le Poor), Sir Robert Rous, Henry III and Queen Eleanor, Edward I.

 
Income
 

In 1291 the gross income of the community was over 126 pounds. In 1535 its net annual income was valued at 214 pounds, 4 shillings, and 9 pence.

 
Early Documents
 

The earliest document is dated to 1235.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A thirteenth-century seal that was found on the deed of surrender depicted the virgin standing on a corbel with the holy infant on her left arm, an abbess kneels before the Virgin holfing a flowering branch. The legend reads: SIGILLVM . CONVENTVS . DE . TARENT.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Tarrant has no physical remains, although the long windowless wall of the parish church has been attributed to the proximity of the nunnery. A nearby farm, Tarrant Abbey House, is probably what was built from the materials of the demolished nunnery (The Buildings of England, Buildings: Dorset, 416).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Richard Poor, Bishop of Chichester, Salisbury and Durham, and the builder of Salisbury Cathedral, was said to have baptized and buried at Tarrant. Joan, wife to Alexander II of Scotland and sister to Henry III, died while on route to visit Henry and her body was buried at Tarrant, supposedly in a gold coffin.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0835]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1196
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
1935