Seton
Community ID
 
882
 
Alternate Names
 
Seaton, Lekeley, Lekelay, Leakly
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Cumberland
 
Modern Location
 
Seton
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1190
 
Date Terminated
 
1537
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

According to Elkins, the foundation date is 1190. In 1190 it was a dependency of Nunburnholme, Yorkshire S. John the Baptist. S. Thompson places the foundation before 1210 and postulates that Henry son of Arthur son of Godard, lord of Millom, was the founder as does the VCH.(Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 228). This foundation is supported by a grant in which Henry and his wife Godit gave Lekelay to their daughter Gunnild and her husband Henry, exempting the land he had already granted the monastery: "excepta terra in Lekeleya quam dedi sanctimonialibus servientibus Deo et sancte Marie in Lekeleya." (Reg. of Holmcultram, MS. f. 60.)

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

List of known prioresses and nuns of Seaton: Marjorie Butler, Joan Copeland, Elizabeth Croft, Margaret Crofte, ... Denton, Margaret Prestwich, Susanna Ribton, Elizabeth Sandes, Joan Seton, Ada Walton. Margaret Prestwich and the Priory of Seaton 84-5.

 
Population Counts
 

At the time of suppression there were 2 nuns and a novice.

 
Dependent Communities
 

From 1356 to about 1470, S. Leonard is a dependency of this community.

 
Dependency Of
 

Between 1200 and sometime after 1313 (when a priest and 2 nuns visited) it was a dependency of S. John the Baptist.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

On 13 November 1227, Archbishop Walter Gray granted the prioress and nuns of Lekeley the church of St. Michael of Irton, on account of their extreme poverty. Once again, on 1 April, 1357, Henry, Duke of Lancaster, discovering that the there were not enough fund to support the nuns, granted the nuns the vacant hospital of St. Leonard, Lancaster, with all its lands and possessions. In addition, the abbey of Holmcultram also seems to have helped support the nunnery from time to time.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the community's net income was over 12 pounds. It had been impoverished in 1357.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

There is a monumental slab of a prioress that bears a partial inscription reading: "HIC IACET... DENTONA AN ..." The slab is part of a wall of a nearby barn in High Hyton.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

All that remains of the medieval foundation is the east end of the church . The site is now occupied by Seaton Hall.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The nunnery was suppressed in the 1530's, but during the Northern Rebellion in 1540, an attempt was made to restore the nuns to the priory, at which time the current lessee, Hugh Ascue, petitioned the king for intervention in the matter.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0795]

Need to link to cart 3527

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1190
 
Date Finished
 
1537
 
Length
 
1047