S. Stephan
Community ID
 
2379
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Stephanus
 
Town
 
Augsburg
 
Diocese
 
Augsburg
 
Modern Location
 
Augsburg; in the governmental district of Schwabia.
 
Dedication
 
S. Stephan
 
Date Founded
 
969
 
Date Terminated
 
1802-3
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of Augustinian canonesses was founded by S. Ulrich, bishop of Augsburg.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

None of the medieval buildings remain.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Bistumsarchiv in Augsburg preserves a Gradual, written in 1527, K 27a. The Fürstbischöfliche Priesterseminar in Brixen preserves a Breviary, # 48, and a Missal, # 62. Munich also preserves manuscripts from the convent in the Staatsbibliothek # Clm 27179; 27180.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 31.
HEMMERLE. Germania Benedictina, 44.?
Hist. Staetten, 39-48.
BACKMUND. Kollegiatstifte, 122.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

The only surviving works from the convent are a Gradual, written in 1527 and owned by Anna von Freyberg, preserved in the Bistumsarchiv in Augsburg. A Breviary and Missal, dating from the fifteenth century are preserved in Brixen. Both were owned by Ulrich von Hohenrechberg. A Miscellany from the fourteenth century may exist in the University library at Innsbruck, although its existence can not be definitely verified.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
969
 
Date Finished
 
1802
 
Length
 
711