S. Sepulchre's, Canterbury
Community ID
 
956
 
Town
 
Canterbury
 
Diocese
 
Canterbury
 
Region
 
Kent
 
Modern Location
 
Canterbury
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Holy Sepulchre
 
Date Founded
 
1187 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Thompson lists probable founders as Wiliam Calvel or Archbishop Anselm (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 220). According to Thompson, the community appears to have been originally linked with a parish church. It seems that the church was parochial as well as conventual, and this could hint at an anchoretic origin, with a group of recluses attached to a parish church (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 36). Another possibility is that the priory of S. Sepulchre originally had links with a hospital Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 37).

 
Notable Heads
 

NULL is the first mentioned prioress

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Elizabeth Barton, the "Holy Maid of Kent," became a nun here in 1527 and was executed in 1534.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 5 nuns besides the prioress in 1379 and 1511. In 1535 there were 7 nuns besides the prioress.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income was valued over 29 pounds.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Admin. Notes
 

[V0232]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1187
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1026