S. Pere de Burgal
Community ID
 
1242
 
Town
 
Escaló
 
Diocese
 
Urgell
 
Region
 
Catalonia
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
948 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
Uncertain. May have ceased to be a female community in 1064, when the monastery was turned over to the authority of Count Ramon of Pallars Jussà. Community was secularized in 1570.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Seems to have orignially been a male community, but was filled with nuns in 949 by Count Isarn (of Urgell).

 
Notable Heads
 

First abbess was Ermengarda, daughter of Count Isarn of Urgell.

 
Dependency Of
 

Male community of Grassa.

 
Assets/Property
 

Held lands in nearby valleys, as well as the church of S. Joan d‚Isil.

 
Early Documents
 

859 (Abbot Delicat obtains a privilege of immunity); 865 (same abbot unifies with monastery of S. Maria of Gerri).

 
Art & Artifacts
 

The Museum of Art of Catalonia (in Barcelona) houses murals once belonging to this community, attributed to the Master of Pedret (11th-12th c.).

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Remains of Romanesque church, with three naves & apses, decorated with Lombard „arcuacions.‰

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Liber feudorum maior, vol. 1: 60-61.

 
Contributors
 
Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
948
 
Length
 
786