S. Maria in Trastevere
Community ID
 
2307
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria de Ultraiberim; S. Maria de Transibertim; S. Chiara delle Rimurate
 
Town
 
Città di Castello
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside but near the gate of S. Florido at Mt. Cicerone; later at the Porta del Prato; in 1377 at the monastery of S. Chiara di Citerna (See "Present State of Medieval Structure," below); in 1411 transferred to S. Lucia in Porta Giacomo
 
Date Founded
 
1223-1228
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Notable Heads
 

Nov. 9, 1391: Bartholomea Lucae de Broderibus

 
Population Counts
 

1391: 22; 1505: 7; 1526: 40

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1256, Alexander IV

 
Incorporated Communities
  
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

Under the protection of the Franciscan minorites and the bishop; later dvided into Minori Conventuali and Minori Osservanti. On January 9, 1526, the community was reformed by S. Maria de Monteluce.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Shortly after the community was founded, Detavino del fu Giovanni Agrestolo and his wife Natalia assigned the monastery verious lands with the agreement from Abbess Caracosa that the would not touch these lots and lands until the spouses do not [sic] enter the monastery. If they had a daughter in the meantime, Detavino could enter as a converted brother, Natalia as a major sister, and the daughter with the servant Soperchia as minor sisters, called servants. If they had a son, the contract was invalid. In 1300, Gualteruccio Gaulterotti gave substantial alms to enlarge the monastery and beautify the church. In 1350, ser Marco Vanni Margherita di Amadeo di Rainaldo di Vajano, 50 denari were left to each of two sisters, Angela and Resa, in exchange for prayers.

 
Income
 

Received 10 libri from the commune annually.

 
Early Documents
 

1509: Abbess Griseida de'Bianchi declared in chapter that they were under the Fratri Conventuali. The sisters were chased out and the Tertiaries of Paradiso who were under the Padri Minori occupied the convent. The sisters appealed to Leo X who, after a long investigation, ordered that the sisters could return, but they must be cloistered and under the Padri Minori Osservanti, and they were chased out again. Finally, Clement VI threatened the Fratri Minori with excommunication if they did not reform the nuns. D. Lorenzo Muzi, the bishop's vicar, called in four nuns from S. Maria de Monteluce (Abbess Angelica, Benedetta [vicar], Bernardina of Todi [novice-mistress] and Chiara of Assisi [doorkeeper]). There were only six sisters left in Trastavere in S. Lucia, and Muzi sent in some "honest women" to help reform the monastery: Camilla Mariotti from Cortona, Lucia di Pier Matteo Michelotti, Camilla Migloruccio of er Batista Migliorati (with a 150-florentine dowry), Giusta di Niccola Cordoni, Girolama, neice of Monsignor Bufalini (who gave the land on which S. Giacomo was built), Bernardina di Antonio Costaninin di Migliorati (with a 100-florentine dowry), and Giovanna di Pierleone (with a 60-florentine dowry). In 1526, the monastery of Trastavere in S. Lucia was exchanged with the church of S. Jacobo in Fucci Square, belonging to the monastery of Oselle. The monastery of Trastevere obtained apostolic permission to sell some terrain for 1200 florentines and built a cloister. The church and the monastery came to be called S. Chiara delle Rimurate or Murate.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

Piertro Marten Fiammingo paintd the picture by the mojor altar representing S. Conception, Saints Florido and Amanzio, and also Adam and Eve, tempted by the serpent. Cav. Mazzantini painted S. Francis in ecstasy.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The monastery caught fire twice. The nuns took refuge in S. Chiara di Citerna in 1377, and in 1411 they transferred to S. Lucia.

 
Relics
 

The Church of S. Giacomo was rich in relics.

 
Manuscript Sources
  
Published Primary Sources
  
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1223
 
Length
 
2550