S. Maria Magdalena vor Schottentor
Community ID
 
4990
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mariae Magdalenae Vindobonensium
 
Town
 
Vienna
 
Diocese
 
Vienna
 
Date Founded
 
Founded in 1239 by Duke Friedrich II
 
Date Terminated
 
The community was merged into S. Lorenz in 1533 after the cloister was destroyed in the 1529 Turkish siege. (Karl Czoernig, Ethnographie der Oesterreichischen monarchie, (Vienna: K.-K. Hof- und staatsdruckerei, 1857), 143)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian canonesses
 
Notable Heads
 

Sister Elzbet served as prioress, according to a Sarhemberger document of 1361

Sister Margret served as prioress and was named in 1437 document

Priorin Barbara Hirss is named in a document of 1477

Sister Helena Hewtin, Maisterin, arranged for an endowed mass for Wolfgang Ottlinger and his wife Barbara in 1486.

In 1527, Sister Constantia Pugklin was serving as Maisterin

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Frederick the Fair donated to the convent in 1327.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Necrologia Germaniae, includes S. Maria Magdalena vor Schottentor necrology.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Vienna ONB 1894, a late medieval Processional; a late hand dates the manuscript to 1489, but the bulk of the copying was earlier. (Menhardt, Altdeutsche Handschriften, 1960/61)

Vienna ONB Vindobonensis 2035, a diurnal with German rubrics from 1480

Vienna ONB 13825, a contemplative manuscript from 1464; a reader made note of the Turkish invasion of 1529

Kalocsa, Akademie der Wissenschaften, lat. cod. 4o 10, the winter portion of a 14th-century diurnal with Passau rubrics (described in Rado 1949, 358)

Kalocsa, Dombibliothek nr. 214, the summer portion of a 15th-century diurnal (described in Rado 1949, p. 364)

 
Contributors
 
Cynthia J. Cyrus and Christine Smith