S. Maria Maddalena
Community ID
 
2725
 
Town
 
Borgo San Sepolcro
 
Diocese
 
G├║bbio
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally near the walls; later transferred to a location close to the church of S. Lorenzo
 
Date Founded
 
1271, June 8
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Congregation
 
Santuccie
 
Foundation Information
 

On June 8, 1271, Cantuccia Carabutti de Eugubio, along with a group of women desiring to retire to a monastery, professed before Bishop Nicolas di Castello that they would obey the Bishop and would pay him 1 canalle-1 libra annually on the feast of S. Floridio. This was the first monastery in the diocese to be founded by the Beata Santuccia.

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Maria in Giulia (after 1305).

 
Early Documents
 

1305: Abbess Poverta, together with her vicars suor Anna and Suor Filippa, as well as with the nuns Francesca, Crispina and Bartola, accepted the decision from Rome that the Prioress of S. Maria in Giulia would be the mother and head of all communities founded by the Beata Santuccia.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Earthquakes (14th century? needs verification) forced the sisters to return to the church of S. Cristofora, where they elected Suor Lena as abbess.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1271
 
Length
 
967