S. Maria del Popolo
Community ID
 
2636
 
Town
 
Foligno
 
Diocese
 
Foligno
 
Date Founded
 
1445 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1700-1799 (18th c.)
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by a noblewoman named Anna.

 
Population Counts
 

In the 17th century there were 25 nuns, plus a group of unmarried women they educated.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

1445: S. Maria della Croce, S. Giuliana, and S. Maria di Val Verde
According to Iacobilli, all the incarcerate (female hermits) in and near Foligno were brought together into the monastery of S. Maria del Popolo in 1450. However, Mario Sensi points out that there were still "incarcerate" living in the "carceri" (literally "prisons," small stone huts, hermitages, clusters of anchorholds) known as S. Salvatore and S. Agostino (Incarcerate e Penitenti a Foligno nella prima metà del trecento p. 239
It is unclear from Sensi's footnotes whether Iacobilli made this claim in his collection of Umbrian saints' lives: Vite III; or in a manuscript codex of notes and transcriptions: Foligno, Biblioteca Iacobilli cod. A. VIII.4.

 
Contributors
 
Katherine Gill; Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1445
 
Date Finished
 
1700
 
Length
 
290