S. Maria de Savall
Community ID
 
2572
 
Town
 
Balenyà
 
Diocese
 
Vich
 
Date Founded
 
1236
 
Date Terminated
 
1300 or earlier? Needs verification
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian Deodonades (this is a mendicant order, not to be confused with Augustinian canonesses)
 
Foundation Information
 

Formerly existed (as early as 1121) as a chapel for the lords Cassola, with the name S. Maria de Sauva Negra. This family donated it as a benefice (1218-36), and in 1236, the widow who was proprietoress of this church, Ermessenda d‚Espina, gave permission to a group of Deodonades to establish a community there.

 
Dependency Of
 

Parroquial church of S. Coloma Sasserra.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The only remains are the ruins located at the edge of the modern urban zone of Puigsgordí.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1236
 
Date Finished
 
1300
 
Length
 
672