S. Maria de les Franqueses
Community ID
 
1233
 
Town
 
Balaguer
 
Diocese
 
Urgell
 
Region
 
Catalonia
 
Medieval Location
 
5 km outside the city
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Date Founded
 
1186
 
Date Terminated
 
1452
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded on lands ceded to S. Maria de Vallbona by Count Ermengol VII (Urgell) and his wife Dolça.

 
Notable Heads
 

Guilla (1195), Sibil.la d‚Urgell (1282)

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

Under the direct authority of the Holy See since 1193.

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Maria de Vallverd. The community‚s goods were assigned to the male community of Poblet by a bull of Pope Sixtus IV.

 
Dependency Of
  
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Buildings in ruins by the 16th century, and the only current remains are the floor of the church, in the form of a latin cross, in a transitional style between Romanesque and Gothic.

 
Contributors
 
Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1186
 
Date Finished
 
1452
 
Length
 
723