S. Lucia
Community ID
 
2666
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Porta S. Angelo
 
Modern Location
 
Via Ariodante Febretti 20
 
Date Founded
 
1382
 
Date Terminated
 
1941/42 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Originally came from Bevagna, where they had been evicted (?) from their properties. Perugia gave them one communal house in the parish of S. Cristoph that had at one time belonged to Giacomo d'Oddo of Porta S. Angelo.

 
Population Counts
 

About 40 nuns in the sixteenth century; 14 at the time of dissolution (1941).

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Antonio da Padova: S. Lucia had closed temporarily in 1810, but reopened in 1815, incorporating the franciscan community of S. Antonio.

 
Incorporated By
 

In 1941 the 14 remaining nuns joined the community of Augustinian tertiaries of Bambino Gesu, in Gualdo Tadino.

 
Other Economic Activities
 

Operated as a school for women between 1826 and 1880.

 
Early Documents
 

In 1480, the nuns asked for money to renovate after fire damages.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1899, the commune of Perugia ceded the monastery to the Stimmatine for a college. The nuns of S. Lucia had to transfer to a location in the Via Universita, but the new location was very unhealthy, and not suitable for a monastic community. Nonetheless, there were some religious professions between 1907 and 1931.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1382
 
Date Finished
 
1941
 
Length
 
1168