S. John Evan and S. John the Baptist
Community ID
 
972
 
Region
 
Leiceistershire
 
Modern Location
 
Leicester
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
John the Evangelist, John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1200 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1547 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded for a master, brothers and sisters, as a dependency of Newarke College. Sometime after 1461 it was restored, according to Knowles.

 
Charitable/Work
 

The hospital mainly seemed to serve the poor rather than the sick.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1479, St. John's Hospital was given to the College of the Newarke at Leicester largely due to the work of William, Lord Hastings. After the suppression of Newarke College the hospital continued to exist into the 1550's. However, the land was eventually ceded to the corporation of Leicester by Queen Elizabeth. It was later revived as an almshouse for poor widows in the seventeenth century.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1547
 
Length
 
307