S. John of Beverly
Community ID
 
2881
 
Alternate Names
 
Silva Derorum, Inderauuda, Deirwalde, Endeirwood
 
Town
 
Beverley
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Dedication
 
S. John the Evangelist
 
Date Founded
 
700
 
Date Terminated
 
1450 or after
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

In 700, John the archbishop of York founded a monastery with a church dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist. He attached an oratory to the church and installed nuns in the oratory. This monastery was founded on the site of a monastery that was supposed to have originally been founded in 126 AD and destroyed in 450 AD. Dugdale considers this story improbable (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 2, 127).

 
First Members
 

Yolfrida, the daughter of a patron, was nun at the monastery and was buried there upon her death.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Athelstan refounded the monastery as a house for secular canons in either 828 or 928 (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 2, 128).

 
Relics
 

Supposedly, the minster contained the relics of St. John of Beverley, the founder, who was officially canonized in 1037 largely due to the efforts of archbishop Aelfric.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

There is no mention of nuns at this location after 866 when the Danes destroyed the community.