S. Gertrude
Community ID
 
1324
 
Town
 
Cologne
 
Diocese
 
Cologne
 
Medieval Location
 
on the New Market in Cologne
 
Date Founded
 
1257
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican by 1285
 
Rule
 
Augustinian (Rule of S. Augustine)
 
Foundation Information
 

In August of 1257, a group of women who called themselves inclusae moved from a chapel in the southern part of Cologne to a more central location on the New Market. Archbishop Conrad of Hochstaden confirmed the ownership of the chapel of S. Gertrude to this group. They then assumed the Rule of S. Augustine in order to found a regular convent. In 1263, pope Urban IV confirmed their adoption of the Augustinian rule and allowed them to follow the institutes of the Dominicans. However, the convent's petition for incorporation was not granted until 1285.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

[1]Stadtarchiv S. Gertrude, Urkunden 2, printed by Lcomblet, Theodor J. Urkundenbuch fur die Geschichte des Niederrheins. Vol. 2. Dusseldorf: J. Wolf, 1840-1858, p. 241, no. 442.
[2]Löhr, Garbriel M. "Das Nekrologium des Dominikanerinnenklosters St. Gertrude in Koln," AHVN 110 (1927).

 
Secondary Sources
 

NULL, Das Kölner Dominikanerinnenkloster St. Gertrud am Neumarkt
LOEHR, Gabriel M. Beitraege zur Geschichte des Koelner Dominikanerklosters im Mittelalter, Quellen und Forschungen zur Geschichte des Dominikanerordens in Deutschland 15-17 (2 vols. in 3) Leipzig, 1920.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In November of 1257 Pope Alexander IV issued two letters of protection to S. Gertrude.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

This was a foundation by pious women of the city of Cologne.

 
Date Started
 
1257
 
Length
 
1315