S. Caterina
Community ID
 
2625
 
Alternate Names
 
Monastero delle Vergine; S. Chiara
 
Town
 
Foligno
 
Diocese
 
Foligno
 
Medieval Location
 
3 km. outside the city, on the Via S. Caterina, near the Fonte di Carpello and the castle of Castiglione
 
Date Founded
 
1225
 
Date Terminated
 
1867, August 17
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan Tertiaries
 
Rule
 
Third order of St. Francis, then the second rule of Urban II, later modified by Pius VIII
 
Foundation Information
 

S. Clare of Assisi came to Foligno with Marsebilia and Cristiana in 1216, and in 1225, S. Caterina was founded under the authority of Bishop Mons. Egidius.

 
Population Counts
 

45 in the 17th century; 28 in 1965.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

in 1260, January 18, Alexander IV prescribed a rule for the community.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

In 1470 the nuns abandoned their monastery and went to live at S. Caterina de Monte Sinai, which they incorporated.

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Lucia. Nineteen years later, they were transferred to the ancient conservatory founded by Mother Paola della Croce in July 1882.

 
Dependency Of
 

After the unification with S. Caterina de Monte Sinai, the combined community was a dependency of S. Pietro (Rome), and owed an annual payment of one pound of wax.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

The syndic and procurator in 1382 was Thomas Cicchuris.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Foligno, Bibliotheca Iacobilli, cod. B, VI, 8, "copie di brevi et instrumenti [...] dei monasteri di Foligno [...] Monastero di S. Catarina, cc. 116v.-125v., 370.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1225
 
Date Finished
 
1867
 
Length
 
1230