S. Caterina
Community ID
 
2656
 
Town
 
Montone
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Medieval Location
 
built at the side of castle Montone. When war was imminent, the nuns retired to within the castle walls. Also located close to the church of S. Fedele.
 
Date Founded
 
1220
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine (needs verification)
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Caterina, a Roman matron.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

On August 30, 1228, Gregory IX gave the community a grant of immunity. It was also specified that the community had to pay the bishop one-half pound of wax annually.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Spirito in the early 19th century (Possible that nuns moved to the other community -- needs verification). In 1827, Montone obtained the return of the nuns, but the monastery was occupied by the Marquis Bufalini. The city built an oratory which was more suitable for the nuns.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The monastery was divided from the church of S. Fedele by the great arch on the street.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1220
 
Length
 
737