S. Benedetto
Community ID
 
591
 
Town
 
Urbino
 
Diocese
 
Urbino
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Modern Location
 
In the palazzo where the *Instituto Margistrale "Bernardo Baldi"* is housed today
 
Date Founded
 
1359
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Incorporated Communities
 

United with the congragation of S. George in Alga

 
Early Documents
 

Dec. 3, 1441: Chapter of S. Giovanni in Lateran elects a new visitor, and makes the monastery subject to Basilica Lateranense in Rome.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Palzzo still remains, although it no longer houses the monastery. The church was consecrated by monsignor Tiranni, Bishop of Urbino, in 1569.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Urbino, Archivio Capitolare, Pergamena del Capitolo n. 73.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Monastery was noted for posessing the "Regole," given by the abbess of the general order (residing in S. Maria in Giulia of Rome) on 14 May, 1368. Destroyed by a fire at the end of the 14th c.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder; Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1359
 
Length
 
916