S. Andrew, Denhall
Community ID
 
878
 
Town
 
Chester
 
Diocese
 
Coventry (LI)
 
Region
 
Cheshire
 
Medieval Location
 
The hospital was situated on the marshes of the Dee River estuary, next to township of Nesse.
 
Modern Location
 
Denhall
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. Andrew
 
Date Founded
 
1230 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1496 (see "incorporated by," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Thought to be Augustinian.
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

At its foundation Bishop Alexander Stavansby of Coventry (LI) annexed the hospital to the church of Burton inside Wirrall, a prebend of Lichfield chapel. ( Foundation Document)

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

The only reference to women residing in the community is in 1251. The Prior donates with the consent of brothers and sisters, indicating the presence of both sisters and brothers living in the community to serve God.

 
Incorporated By
 

The community was terminated in 1496 when it was incorporated into S. John's Hospital in Lichfield by order of the Bishop of Coventry (LI).

 
Early Documents
 

[1]Confirms the foundaton by dean and chaplain. (1238)
[2] Pope Gregory the IX confirms the foundation as recorded in Document 1. (1241)

 
Admin. Notes
 

(uncertain) & incomplete : f woman see MONREP 3

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1230
 
Date Finished
 
1496
 
Length
 
694