S. Agnes
Community ID
 
2316
 
Alternate Names
 
Agnetenkloster; Agneskloster in Würzburg
 
Town
 
Würzburg
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Medieval Location
 
Würzburg
 
Modern Location
 
Würzburg; in the governmental district of Unterfranken; in the administrative district of Würzburg
 
Corporate Status
 
Abbey
 
Dedication
 
S. Agnes
 
Date Founded
 
1250; Link places the foundation in 1151
 
Date Terminated
 
1560
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Claresn
 
Rule
 
S. Clare
 
Foundation Information
 

According to Link, a community of religious women (living presumably without a rule) existed on the location of this Clarissen convent since 1151. Since 1221 a group of female tertiaries dwelt near the chapel of S. Bartholomew. When the tertiaries transfered to the chapel of Valentius on the site of the later cloister, they were joined by members of the former religious community. With papal approval, the (unregulated) women entered the Clarissen order in 1254. The two groups formed a Clarissen convent and chose S. Agnes as their patron (Link, 580). A cloister is mentioned already in 1257. No specific founder for the community is mentioned nor are specific patrons. The convent's wealth was augmented by bequests and donations of property from the women themselves.

 
First Members
 

(see foundation information)

 
Notable Heads
 

Known abbesses are: Mechthildis, 1270; Adelheidis, 1274; Gertrud, 1287; Hedwig, 1290; Clementia, 1290; Gertrud, 1293; Heidewigis, 1297; Clementia, 1269; Katharina, 1314; Maria or Margareta, 1324; Agnes von Bocke, 1361; Kartharina von Widder, 1373; Agatha von Riedern, 1505; Dorothea, 1529; Lucretia Hurneck, 1544; Margareta von Wildenstein, 1544; Radiana von Geinsheim, 1554; Margareta Muttlinger, 1555.

 
Relative Wealth
 

The convent's wealth was augmented by bequests and donations of property from the women themselves.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1292 upon their entrance the sisters Margareta and Elisabet of Widder brought 200 pounds (Heller). Their sister Juta had joined the community previously. The three sisters were to receive three pounds Denarius yearly for their support (Link, 580). A local city-dweller, Heinrich Wender, and his wife, Petrissa, gave the convent 6 acres of vineyards. Their daughter, Berlindis, was a member of the community and retained the right of usufruct in this property for her lifetime. Agnes Schürger and her daughter, Bertha, (who were members of the convent) received four and a half acres of vineyard in 1334. In 1359 Margareta, wife of Konrad of Lindwurm, granted the convent a variety of goods from their farm in Urfeld, including amounts of corn, wheat, oil, and hens, with the provision that her sister and daughter, who were members of the community, would have the use of these goods as well for the rest of their lives (Link, 581). According to Link, the convent came to possess large farms. Most of the convent's rents and properties were acquired through purchase. In 1324 Hohenloh, the wife of Heinrich, granted the convent goods from their/her(?) property in Bleichfeld and Effeltrecht.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Klosterbuch der Diocese Wurzburg.
Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua II, 120.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1554 only three members of the community remained. This Clarissen convent was dissolved in 1560 by Bishop Friedrich von Wirsberg. In 1567 the Jesuits obtained the conventual buildings.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

http://www.bayern.de/HDBG/ks/ksstart.htm
It appears that the women of this community had the ability to possess and alienate their own property.

 
Date Started
 
1250
 
Date Finished
 
1560
 
Length
 
1944