Community ID
Alternate Names
Medieval Location
North Riding
Modern Location
Corporate Status
S. Mary and S. Lawrence
Date Founded
Date Terminated
Religious Order
Foundation Information

According to Burton (1979), the community was founded by William, son of Turgis of Rosedale, and Robert, son of Nicholas de Stuteville. Nichols claims the founder is William, son of Turgis de Rosedale.

Notable Members/Residents/Guests

On 17 May 1321 Archbishop Melton sent an apostatized nun of Rosedale, Isabella Dayvill, to the foundation at Handale to undergo penance.

Population Counts

There were 9 nuns in 1322, when several had to be sent to other convents due to the ravages of the Scots. There were 8 nuns in 1378-9. There were 9 in 1535. A lay brother is recorded in 1326 (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 225).


On 22 August 1310, Bishop Greenfield began an inquiry into the accounts and actions of the prioress, who was apparently accused of mismanaging the priory. First the prioress and then her nuns were examined separately and ordered to give full accounts of her activities from the time of her promotion to prioress.
Another visitation was made by Bishop Greenfield on 28 September 1315 which resulted in a series of sanctions against the nuns. The Bishop ordered the nuns to give a full account of the debits and credits of the house to be delivered to the Archbishop by the feast of St. Nicholas. In addition, the nuns were ordered to fix the roof and to perform other necessary repairs to the cloister buildings. The nuns were to give alms to the poor according the means of the house and no more. The Bishop stated that keys of the cloister be given to an older nun in good standing and that all rebellious nuns be punished appropriately. No presents were to be exchanged by any of the nuns and children were not to sleep in the dormitory under pain of excommunication. The nuns were not wear any colored garments or mantles different from those allowed by the priory. No visitors were allowed without the Archbishop's permission and nuns visiting their families/friends must return within 15 days. Finally, puppies were not allowed in the quire or the church.

Relative Wealth

The community was quite rich.


In 1535 its annual income was valued at 37 pounds, 12 shillings, and 5 pence.

Early Documents

[1]Inspection by Edward II of John I's confirmation.

Architecture & Archaeology

Only a small angle of dressed stone in a little close near the church of the village remains of the priory. The remains, which stand only 14 feet, 2 inches high, have two buttresses to the west and south which support it. The interior can be gained by a Perpendicular doorway which leads to a spiral staircase to the northeast and climbs to a small Romanesque window opening 5 feet, 9 inches high and 1 foot, 9 inches wide. The angle may have been the southwest one of the convent's south transept (Pevsner, Buildings: Yorkshire North, 313, quoted in J.A. Nichols, "Medieval English Cistercian Nunneries," Maelanges a la maemoire du pere Anselme Dimeir (Pupillin: Arbois, 1982), 174). An aerial photograph was taken on July 10, 1949 (Cambridge Univ.: Dept. of Aerial Photo, DQ 63).

State Of Medieval Structure

All is gone of the priory save a small angle of dressed stone in a little close near the church of the village. [see Architecture/Archaeology above]

Miscellaneous Information

On 21 November 1322 the priory, having been attacked by the Scots, sent a number of nuns to the protection of other houses: Alice de Rippinghale was sent to Nunburnholme, Avelina de Brus to Sinningthwaite, Margaret de Langtoft to Thicket, Joan Crouel to Wykeham and Eleanor Dayvill was received at the house of Hampole, with letters from the queen. At this pont at least seven nuns remained at Rosedale, including Joan de Dalton, who had previously been sent away but we received again in June of 1323.

Admin. Notes

Assets--QQQ, quite rich??

Marilyn Oliva, Ericka Swensson
Date Started
Date Finished