Rerecross Hospital
Community ID
 
867
 
Alternate Names
 
Spital on Stainmore, Spyttal de Staynemore, le Spittell super Staynemoore, Reir Croiz de Staynmore
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Date Founded
 
1171 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1540 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Probably Benedictine because of the affiliation with Marrick which was Benedictine. Further research is necesary.
 
Rule
 
Probably Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded as a dependency of Marrick in 1171 by Ralph de Multon. Rerecross served a hospice for travelers taking the old roman road from Yorkshire to Westmorland.

 
Dependency Of
  
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Ralph de Multon

 
Relative Wealth
 

In 1540 the hospital was valued at £2 13s. 4d. yearly.

 
Charitable/Work
 

In the Pipe Roll of 18 Henry II there is an account stating that 5 seams of bread-corn were given to sick persons by Ralph de Glanville, Chief Justice of England. Another man, Nicholas Kirkby, donated £3 a year to celebrate in the chapel of St. Edmund.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

In the seventeenth century the hospital became an Inn, which was later replaced by a new structure sometime in the eighteenth century. Strangely, this later structure became associated with an interesting legend in which roving marauders used the "hand of glory," to rob the Inn.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Because the site was near the borders of three separate counties it appears in the records or all three: York, Durham and Westmorland. However, it was technically within York. It was supposedly named after Rey Cross, a Norman Stone Cross that was meant to mark the boundary between England and Scotland. After the dissolution of the monastery at Marrick, Rerecross was granted in 1545-6 to John Uvedale.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1171
 
Date Finished
 
1540
 
Length
 
290