Nuncotham
Community ID
 
984
 
Alternate Names
 
Nun Cotun, Nun Cotham, Nuncoton, Cotham, and Nuncotton, Nun Cotton.
 
Town
 
Lincoln
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Lincolnshire
 
Modern Location
 
Nun Cotham: 1 1/2 miles east/south-east of Brocklesby, route 1211
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1147-1153
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Nun Cotham was founded by Alan de Moncells (Monceaux) and Matilda, his wife, for nuns and lay brothers. There is no clear evidence of canons or monks.

 
Population Counts
 

The constitution limits the size of the community to 30 nuns, 12 conversi, a master and 2 priests during the 13th century. There were only 14 in the 15th century. Only 13 remained at the time of the Dissoluton.

 
Visitations
 

Constitution drawn up by episcopal Hugh of Lincoln in the 13th century. This entry is higly questionable and further research is necessary.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Before 1260 Beatrice de Verly was a benefactor to the community.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

Knights fees.

 
Assets/Property
 

The community assets included land at Cotton, Swallow, Keelby and Great Limber. They also owned mills and a pasture. In 1291 it was valued between 35-60 pounds.

 
Income
 

It derived income from the churches of Cuswold, Keelby, Burghon Bain, and Croxton. Its annual income was valued at 46 pounds, 8 shillings, and 7 pence in 1535.

 
Litigations
 

Knights fees.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The site has been photographed from the air eight times (Cambridge Univ.: Dept. of Aerial Photo, FO 59-62, Sept. 8, 1951; AFP 52-53, June 22, 1962; AZY 83-84, Nov. 13, 1969; BBB 11-14, March 19, 1970; BLJ 101-102, BLK 1-6, K17-AB 259-260, Jan. 16, 1973; and BZM 57-61, July 9, 1976) producing 27 different views. The site had not been excavated as of 1982. The mounds of the walls where the priory stood are clerly visible from ground level. No ruins stand above ground level.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

No ruins stand above ground level, although the mounds of the walls where the priory stood are clearly visible from the ground level.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

[1]Oxford Bodleian MS Top Lincs. d I, fo. 6.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Foundation date is 1130 according to Dugdale; (before) 1129, according to Powell; 1154 according to Oliva The Convent and the Community in Late Medieval England: Female Monasteries in the Diocese of Norwich, 1350-1540. It appears that around 1177, the nuns at Nun Cotham attempted to link themselves to the Cistercian order in an attempt to gain exemption from tithes (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 104). In 1294, an entry on the patent rolls referred to Nun Cotham as Cistercian, and in the 16th century Nun Cotham was included in a list of houses to be visited by Cistercian abbots, suggesting that by this date it had won recognition from the General Chapter (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 105-6).

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1147
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
2244