Name unknown (Franciscans/Clares)
Community ID
 
2385
 
Alternate Names
 
Dillinger Franciscans; Dillinger Franziskanerinnen
 
Town
 
Dillingen on the Danube
 
Diocese
 
Augsburg
 
Modern Location
 
Dillingen on the Danube; in the governmental district of Schwabia.
 
Dedication
 
Assumption of the Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1241; since 1303/7, according to Kramer
 
Date Terminated
 
1805
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan
 
Foundation Information
 

This Franciscan convent was founded by Count Hartmann of Kyburg and Dillingen and his son, Hartmann, Bishop of Augsburg from 1250-1286. Count Hartmann IV provided the community with a house circa 1239, prior to his grants of property and income to Maria Medingen.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Landesbibliothek in Stuttgart has a Horarium, circa fifteenth century, written by sister Barbara (Wernherin), #Brev. 119, which may have belonged to this community.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 166.
Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua IV, 273-343.
Hist. Staetten, 130.
SINNIGEN, P. Ansgar. Katholische Frauengenossenschaften Deutschlands, 115.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent was reestablished in 1827. Related link: http://www.dillinger-franziskanerinnen-provinz-maria-medingen.de/index.htm

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1241
 
Date Finished
 
1805
 
Length
 
760