Moxby
Community ID
 
866
 
Alternate Names
 
Before 1167 the community was known as the double monastery, Marton. It was also known as Molseby
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Between 1135-54 at Marton an antique Augustinian male monastery. Nuns were sent from there to Moxby. North Riding or Moxby before 1167.
 
Modern Location
 
Moxby
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
John the Evangelist
 
Date Founded
 
1158
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

It was founded by the canons of Marton and Bertram de Bulmer.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 10 in 1423. In 1322 9 nuns had to be sent to other convents for a time due to a Scottish raid. There were 9 nuns besides the prioress at the time of suppression. In 1536 there were 8 nuns (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 215).

 
Dependency Of
 

Canons of Marton

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

In 1322 the Raid of Scots caused the dispersal of Moxby. The members were sent to a variety of houses.

 
Income
 

The community's net income in 1535 was over 26 pounds.

 
Litigations
 

In 1322 the Raid of Scots caused the dispersal of Moxby. The members were sent to a variety of houses.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] charter of Henry II in favour of the nuns of Moxby (Jan. 1158), outlining gifts to the nuns.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The prioress, giving evidence in a plea of quo warranto in the reign of Edward I, stated that in the time of Henry II, the nuns had been linked with the canons of Marton, but that they then separated, with certain lands being assigned to the women (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 65).

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0557]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1158
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1628