Mariengarten
Community ID
 
2491
 
Alternate Names
 
ad hortum beatae Mariae virginis
 
Town
 
Erfurt
 
Diocese
 
Mainz
 
Medieval Location
 
Erfurt; circa 1303 the community was transferred to the church of S. Martin in Brühl
 
Modern Location
 
Erfurt
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1290 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1802
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of Cistercian nuns was first founded circa 1290 in Erfurt. Circa 1303 the community was transferred to the church of S. Martin in Brühl. The community was finally dissolved in 1802.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Several literary works from the convent's library are still extant and preserved at the Landesbibliothek in Karlsruhe in the St. Peter perg. collection, including #18a, an office of the dead (1435), written by Heynr. Wunne; #38a, an horarium (15-16th c.); #50, Collectar. (16th c.);#50b Rule of S. Benedict in German (16th c.); #58, a psalter (circa 1260); #66, an Horarium (1478); #74, a Breviary (15th c.); #75, Antiphonal (15th c.); #77, an Horarium (15th c.); and #107, another Horarium (16th c.).

 
Secondary Sources
  
Manuscripts Produced
 

Several manuscripts from this community exist. They include four Horariums from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, manuscripts of the office of the dead and rule of S. Benedict, as well as a Collectar. and Antiphonal from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. In addition, a psalter dating circa 1260 and a Breviary from the fifteenth century are also extant. (see manuscript sources)

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research is necessary

 
Date Started
 
1290
 
Date Finished
 
1802
 
Length
 
953