Lindau (Tertiaries)
Community ID
 
2342
 
Alternate Names
 
Terziarinnen (Closmerinnen), Lindau
 
Town
 
Lindau
 
Diocese
 
Constance; currently, Augsburg
 
Medieval Location
 
Lindau
 
Modern Location
 
Lindau (on the Bodensee); in the governmental district of Schwabia; in the administrative district of Lindau.
 
Date Founded
 
1238 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1528
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan
 
Rule
 
Franciscan (tertiaries; third order of S. Francis)
 
Foundation Information
 

The convent was composed of female tertiaries of the order of S. Francis. It is likely that the community was transformed into tertiaries circa 1322 under the direction of the Franciscans. The early years of this community of religious women are uncertain.

 
Secondary Sources
 

[1]Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua V, 589, 592.
[2]Hist. Staetten, 391.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1528 the tertiaries converted to the Protestant faith but continued to maintain a communal life. In 1802 the community was dissolved and the house sold. In 1861 the building was destroyed.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1238
 
Date Finished
 
1528
 
Length
 
843