Karlsburg
Community ID
 
2408
 
Alternate Names
 
Carlsburg; S. Maria in Karloburg (823); capella S. Gertrudis collegiata (1336?); Karlburg am Main; Ad lapidum fluminis
 
Town
 
Karlstadt
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Medieval Location
 
On the left bank of the Main River in Karlstadt.
 
Modern Location
 
In the governmental district of Unterfranken.
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary (?)
 
Date Founded
 
741
 
Date Terminated
 
1350 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine (needs verification)
 
Foundation Information
 

This community may have been established in the eighth century as a chapter of canonesses. According to the confirmation charter of King Arnulf, Karlmann gave Karlsburg to the newly-established episcopacy of Würzburg, which S. Burkard then granted to Irmena (Immena or Emma) for the establishment of a female house dedicated to S. Mary (Link, 564). A document of December 19, 823 by King Ludwig confirmed the gifts of his predecessors Karlmann and Pipin in the episcopacy of Würzburg, including the "monasterium" of S. Maria in Karloburg (Link, 565).

 
First Members
 

Irmena: Irmena was the neice of the Frankish noble Gosbert and Gailana as well as the daughter and heiress of Duke Hedan. She joined the convent circa 741 and died on December 10, 750.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

S. Gertraud, sister of Charlemagne, was a sister of the Karlsburg convent.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

According to Link, circa 1876 the ruins of the convent were still visible along the left bank of the Main River in Karlstadt.

 
Relics
 

In the Middle Ages the convent was a pilgrimage site. The parish church of Karleburg contains the hair of S. Gertraud, sister of Charlemagne and a sister of Karlsburg (Link, 566).

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The following works may have belonged to this house: a manuscript of Caes. Arelat., Homilies, (9th c.), written by Reginmaar, in the Landesbibliothek in Karlsruhe, #K. 340 (Durl. 36). Bede's In epp. canon., (9th c.), in the Bodlein Library, Oxford, #Laud. misc. 442 (SC 880). A manuscript of ninth-century penitentials, in the National Library in Vienna, #2223. A manuscript of "Canones concil.," (9th c.), in the University Library in Würzburg, #M. p.th.f. 146, and a manuscript of Alcuin's De virtut. (9th c.), #M.p.th.f. 175.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Sources differ over the exact dissolution date for this convent. After 1350 it is no longer mentioned in descriptions of the diocese.

 
Admin. Notes
 

further research needed

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
741
 
Date Finished
 
1350
 
Length
 
2067