Holzen
Community ID
 
2548
 
Alternate Names
 
Neuwasser; S. Johannes im Wald
 
Town
 
near Augsburg
 
Diocese
 
Augsburg
 
Date Founded
 
1150 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1802
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community was originally founded circa 1150 as a Benedictine double house. It existed as such until 1470, at which time it became an entirely female house. It was finally dissolved in 1802.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Landesbibliothek in Karlsruhe contains a miscellaneous ascetical work from this house, #ST. Georgen 98, dating from the sixteenth century. The Hauptstaatsarchiv in Munich contains a fragmentary Antiphon from this house, dating from the ninth century, #Holzen KL 104. A sixteenth-century Liber precum, owned by Susanna Schmalholz may come from this community as well. This book is preserved in the Staatsbibliothek in Munich, #Cgm 7969.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research is necessary.

 
Date Started
 
1150
 
Date Finished
 
1802
 
Length
 
792