Hohenburg
Community ID
 
2546
 
Alternate Names
 
Altitona; Odilienberg
 
Diocese
 
Strassburg
 
Region
 
Alsace
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary; S. Odilia
 
Date Founded
 
680 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1546 (for female community -- final dissolution in 1661)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine; Augustinian from the twelfth century
 
Foundation Information
 

This community existed as a Benedictine female house since 680. It contained canonesses until 1546.
According to legend, Hohenbourg was founded by Duke Adalric of Alsace in the late seventh or early eighth century and later given to Adalric’s saintly daughter Odile. The early rule followed by the women of the community is unknown, although by the twelfth century, when the monastery was reformed, the women followed the Augustinian Rule. The monastery came to prominence during the twelfth century under the direction of its reforming abbesses, Relinde (d. c. 1176) and Herrad (d. after 1196).

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Herrad of Hohenbourg, famous for her Hortus Deliciarum, and Relinde, who reformed Hohenbourg at the middle of the twelfth century and introduced the Augustinian Rule.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The manuscript copy of the Hortus deliciarum of Herrad of Hohenbourg, written in the twelfth century, was destroyed in 1870 by a fire at the City Library of Strassburg during the Prussian siege of the city. A second piece, the so-called flabellum of Hohenbourg (a magnificent strip of illuminated parchment) is now in the British Library (BL Add. MS 42497).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The house was transformed to a Premonstratensian male community in 1546. This community was dissolved in 1661.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Herrad of Landsberg (Hohenburg) produced her famous Hortus Deliciarum at this house.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham, Fiona Griffiths
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research necessary.

 
Date Started
 
680
 
Date Finished
 
1546
 
Length
 
580