Hilwartshausen
Community ID
 
2541
 
Alternate Names
 
Hildewardshausen
 
Town
 
near Hann-Münden
 
Diocese
 
Mainz
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary; S. Stephan; S. Vitus
 
Date Founded
 
960-963
 
Date Terminated
 
1610
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian by circa 1150
 
Foundation Information
 

This community emerged circa 960-963 as a house of noble canonesses. It existed as such until circa 1150, at which time it became a house of Augustinian canonesses. The community was dissolved in 1610.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

An Evangeliar from the 9-10th centuries, belonging to this community, is preserved in the Stadtbibliothek in Mainz, #II, 6. The Herzog-August-Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel contains an Antiphonal (c. 1507), #Helmst. 28 (31); four Psalters from this house, dating from the fourteenth -sixteenth centuries, #Helmst. 52 (58), 500 (540), 540 (588), and 551 (599). It also preserves a Hymnar. from the sixteenth century, #Helmst. 563 (611).

 
Secondary Sources
  
Manuscripts Produced
 

Four Psalters that belonged to this house are preserved in the Herzog-August-Bibliothek in Wolfenbüttel. An Evangeliar and Hymnar. also exist.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research is necessary.

 
Date Started
 
960
 
Date Finished
 
1610
 
Length
 
806