Heynings
Community ID
 
982
 
Alternate Names
 
Heveninges
 
Town
 
Lincoln
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Lincolnshire
 
Modern Location
 
Heynings; Knaith, route 156
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1180 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Rayner de Evermue very early in the reign of Stephen. This community was mistakenly thought to be a double house, probably because of the presence of conversi.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Margery Pocklington, resigned 1300/Margery of Marton, elected 1300/Margaret Swalecliffe, resigned 1315/Joan of Cottingham, elected 1315, resigned 1319/Margaret Cause, elected 1319, resigned 1347/Eleanor Joyce, elected 1347, resigned 1352/Alice of Cuxwold, elected 1352/Joan Humberstone, occurs 1419/Joan Stanford, last prioress, surrendered 1539

 
Population Counts
 

There were 17 nuns in 1377 and 15 in 1440, and 12 nuns besides the prioress in 1539.

 
Visitations
 

In 1331 Heyninges was discharged from paying part of tithe because of poverty.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Lords of Knaith

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

It only paid part of the knights' fee.

 
Assets/Property
 

The comunity's assets were valued at 49 pounds, 5 shillings, and 2 pence at dissolution (1535).

 
Income
 

Income came from the Church at Upton, Womersley, the Yorks, and Knaith.

 
Litigations
 

It only payed part of knights' fee.

 
Early Documents
 

SC 8/322/E513 letter from Prioress of Heynings to the King requesting his help in a dispute over lands given by her predecessor, (c.) 1315.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

There are three aerial views of the site taken on April 3, 1973 (Cambridge Univ.: Dept. of Aerial Photo RC8-AI 134-136).

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Nothing of the convent exists today. A late sixteenth-century house was built over the site (Pevser, Buildings: Lincolnshire, 290).

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Foundation date: 1180, according to Dugdale and Oliva.

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

Knowles and Hadcock believe there were Cistercian lay-brothers who did the farm work.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0431]

 
Contributors
 
Marilyn Oliva
 
Date Started
 
1180
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
1235