Herwardeshausen
Community ID
 
2540
 
Alternate Names
 
Frauenthal; Vruwendal; Monasterium de valle virginum; Vallis virginum
 
Town
 
Hamburg
 
Diocese
 
Hamburg
 
Medieval Location
 
on the eastern side of Harwestehude
 
Modern Location
 
Hamburg
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1245 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1529
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

According to Hoogeweg, this community was established by Count Adaolf IV of Holstein and his wife, Heilwig, (who later became a nun). The community was founded circa 1245 near the cathedral. Margrave Otto of Brandenburg gave his possessions in the village of Harvestehude (Herwehusen, Herwerdeshuthe on the Elbe river). In 1247 Pope Innocent IV took the Cistercian convent into his protection. In 1295 the convent was moved to Odersvelde on the Alster river and became known as Frauenthal.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1247 Pope Innocent IV took the Cistercian convent into his protection.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The conventual buildings were destroyed in 1530 by the citizens of Hamburg.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

A manuscript of the fourth Gospel, dating from the twelfth century and belonging to this house, is preserved in the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe in Hamburg, #Inv. Nr. 1879/320.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Hamburger Urkundenbuch, Nr. 533, 536, 540, 894, 898, 905.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1529 the Protestant Reformation was imposed on the convent against the will of the nuns. In 1530 the conventual buildings were destroyed by the citizens of Hamburg. The remaining nuns were transfered to the Johanniskloster in 1531.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Only one extant literary work from this convent survives. (See manuscript sources)

 
Admin. Notes
 

further research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1245
 
Date Finished
 
1529
 
Length
 
1274