Heilig Grab
Community ID
 
1440
 
Alternate Names
 
Dominikanerinnenkloster zum Heilig-Grab (Dominican convent of the Holy Grave)
 
Town
 
Bamberg
 
Diocese
 
Bamberg
 
Medieval Location
 
Bamberg
 
Modern Location
 
Bamberg
 
Date Founded
 
1365 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1803
 
Religious Order
 
Dominican
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

According to the convent legend, this foundation dates to a defilement of the heavenly host in 1314; a school child stole a consecrated host and buried it in a field. On the spot of the burial, miracles began to appear. A chapel, the Heilig-Grab (holy grave) chapel, was established. In 1352 the Bamberg patrician Franz Münzmeister expanded and furnished the chapel in memorial of his pilgrimage to Palestine. He also established a convent next to the church, into which Dominican nuns moved in 1356 (Wienand, 226). Franz Münzmeister, a dweller in Bamberg, is regarded as the founder of the convent. However, Wilms states that the founder of the community was Wolfing von Stubenberg, bishop of Bamberg from 1304-1319.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The Bamberg patrician Franz Münzmeister served as the founder and benefactor of this community.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Only the medieval church of Heilig-Grab remains. The other buildings of the cloister are new.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The university library in Augsburg preserves two Breviaries from 1484 and 1486 respectively, owned by Adelheid Sparneck, #Oet.-Wall. II. 1.4o37/ Oett.-Wall. II. 1. 4o39/ and a life of S. Katherine of Alexandria from 1465/66, written by Martha Peurlin, Oett.-Wall. III. 1. 2o12/ a martyrology from the fifteenth century, Oett.-Wall. III. 1. 2o20/ a Vitas patrum from the fifteenth century, Oett.-Wall. III. 1. 2o25/ and Spiritual meditations, 1435, written by Joh. Liephart and owned by Martha Geringin, Oett.-Wall. III. 1. 4o5. The Staatsbibliothek in Bamberg preserves a Processionale, 1497, # HV Msc. 348 (Nro. 147) as well as # Bibl. 73, Williramus, In Cant. cant. 1523, written by A. Brunner, and # Lit. 71, 72, 92, 93, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 109d, 130, a Processionale, 1499, and # Theol. 65, Buch von der Gemahelschaft Christis, fifteenth century. The Landesbibliothek in Karlsruhe preserves several manuscripts from the community: # St. Georgen Pap. 8a/ St. Georgen Pap. 8b/ St. Peter Perg. 31a, Ritale, fifteenth century/ St. Peter Perg. 38, Berviary, c. 1500/ St. Peter Perg., 39/ St. peter Perg, 53a/ St. Peter Perg. 61/ St. Peter Perg. 64/ St. Peter Perg. 65/ St Peter Perg. 106/ and UH 11. Manuscript # Clm 28309 in the Staatsbibliothek in Munich may also come from this community. A Rituale from the fifteenth century is held in the German national museum in Nürnberg. In The Free Library in Philadelphia, # Lewis Eur. 161 (Phill. 1146), beginning "Super decr." from 1450 may also come from this community.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Das Wirken der Orden und Klöster in Deutschland Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 67-68.
SINNIGEN, P. Ansgar. Katholische Frauengenossenschaften Deutschlands, 70.
WILMS, P. Hieronymus. Geschichte der deutschen Dominkanerinnen 1206-1916, 38.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent was secularized then reestablished approximately one-hundred and twenty years later by the Dominican nuns from S. Ursula.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

The convent appears to have held a substantial number of books (see manuscript sources).

 
Admin. Notes
 

More research necessary/ additional source:Hist. Staetten, 60-65.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

http://www.bayern.de/HDBG/ks/ksstart.htm

The convent was reestablished in 1926 after being restored in 1923. On Sept. 3, 1926 Dominican nuns from S. Ursula in Agusburg moved into the cloister.

 
Date Started
 
1365
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
3023