Heidenheim
Community ID
 
1373
 
Alternate Names
 
Heidesheim
 
Town
 
Eichstätt
 
Diocese
 
Eichstätt
 
Modern Location
 
Eichstätt; in Mittelfranken.
 
Dedication
 
S. Walburga; S. Wunnibaldus
 
Date Founded
 
750 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1537 (see
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This convent is described in the Life of Willibald and Wunnibald. The community was a joint venture between Wunnibald (Wynnebald) and Walburga (Walpurga), brother and sister of the bishop Winnebald. When Wunnibald died, Walburga continued on her own. It was founded circa 745-751 as a double house, but by 790 it had become a community of male canons. From 790-1155 it functioned as a community of male canons; in 1155 it resumed as a Benedictine double house. The community was finally dissolved in 1537.

 
First Members
 

Willibald's sister, Walburga was the first abbess.

 
Literary Works
 

Here the nun, Hugburg, wrote the lives of S. Willibald and Wunnibald.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The "Regierungsbibliothek" in Ansbach contains several Miscellaneous works dating from the fifteenth century, which belonged to this house, #Lat. 36-45. The University library in Freiburg in Breisgau contains a manuscript from the house, dating to the fifteenth century, #392a. The Staatsbibliothek in Munich also contains a manuscript from the house, #Cgm 1524. The Selden supra 27 (SC 3415) in the Bodlein Library in Oxford, which dates from the eleventh century, may have belonged to this house.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The corpse of Abbess Walburgis of Heidenheim was moved to the bishopric of Eichstätt; part of the reliquiry came later to Monheim.

 
Admin. Notes
 

McNamara,161/ more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
750
 
Date Finished
 
1537
 
Length
 
1485