Grossburlo
Community ID
 
2530
 
Alternate Names
 
maius Burloe
 
Town
 
near Borken
 
Diocese
 
M√ľnster
 
Modern Location
 
in the district of Coesfeld
 
Date Founded
 
1220
 
Date Terminated
 
1245 (female); 1803 (male)
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This house of Cistercian nuns existed only briefly from 1220-1245. In 1245 it became a community of Wilhelmites (?) and by 1448 it was transformed into a male Cistercian house.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The majority of extant literary works from this house date from the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The only work which may have belonged to the female community is an Omnibonus, (c. 1200), held in the City and University Library in Frankfurt/Main, #Barth. 68. Later manuscripts are also held in this library.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Further research is necessary to verify the existence of this community as a female house.

 
Date Started
 
1220
 
Date Finished
 
1245
 
Length
 
728