Gnadenthal
Community ID
 
2338
 
Town
 
Ingolstadt
 
Diocese
 
Eichstätt
 
Modern Location
 
Ingolstadt; in the governmental district of Oberbayern; in the administrative district of Ingolstadt.
 
Dedication
 
convent: S. Elisabeth; church: S. John the Baptist and S. John the Apostle
 
Date Founded
 
1276; 1313, according to Kramer.
 
Date Terminated
 
1802-3
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan
 
Rule
 
Franciscan (third order of S. Francis)
 
Foundation Information
 

This was a community of female Franciscan tertiaries.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

Initially placed under the control of the Bishop of Eichstaett, the tertiaries were placed under the administration of the Franciscans in 1466.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The tertiaries lived in several houses. In 1365 they received a building in which they were able to live communally.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Staatsbibliothek Preußischer Kulturbesitz preserves a manuscript by Steph. Fridolin, "Geistl. Mai," (c. 1520), #Hs. 110, owned by this community. The University Library in Munich contains an Evangelistar. (c. 1528/36), written by E(lisabeth) P(eringer?), #2o134; and two sixteenth-century Libri precum, #8o227 and 8o258.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 374. Bavaria Franciscana Antiqua V, 225-233, 270, 290.
Hist. Staetten, 307.
SINNIGEN, P. Ansgar, Katholische Frauengenossenschaften Deutschlands, 167.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

On November 16, 1829 Gnadenthal was reestablished.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

One manuscript may have been produced by a woman from this community, Elisabeth Peringer(?). (see manuscript sources)

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1276
 
Date Finished
 
1802
 
Length
 
1077