Frauweiler
Community ID
 
2449
 
Town
 
Bedburg
 
Diocese
 
Cologne
 
Date Founded
 
1452 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1540 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Franciscan; from 1476 Augustinian
 
Rule
 
unknown; Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

The community of Franciscan nuns was founded before 1452. From 1476 until the convent's dissolution during the Reformation the women became Augustinian nuns.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Landesbibliothek in Darmstadt possesses a manuscript from the community, #540, from the fifteenth century.
The Library in Donaueschingen also possesses a manuscript from the community, VI 1, and the Stadtarchiv in Cologne possesses a saint's life owned by the community, #GB 2o88.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 78.
Müller, N. Das Kloster Frauweiler bei Bedburg, in Annalen des Historischen Vereins für den Niederrhein, Cologne, 1855.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Three manuscripts from the community are extant, a Miscellany, written in the fifteenth century and held in Darmstadt, a theological work, written in 1538 by Guetgen Klechens, held in Donaueschingen, and a saint's life, written in 1538/9 by Guetgen Klechens, preserved in the city archive of Cologne.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1452
 
Date Finished
 
1540
 
Length
 
700