Eppenberg
Community ID
 
2486
 
Alternate Names
 
Eppenberg bei Velsberg
 
Town
 
Melsungen
 
Diocese
 
Mainz
 
Modern Location
 
in the district of Melsungen
 
Date Founded
 
1233 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1440 (female)
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

Further information about the foundation of this community of Augustinian women is needed. The community was established circa 1233 and lasted until 1440, at which time it became a house for Carthusian males until its final dissolution in 1527/8.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Most of the remaining literary works from this house date from the fifteenth century and likely reflect the holdings of the Carthusian (male) house more than the earlier female Augustinian house. Many of the works are held in the Herzog-August-Bibliothek in Wolfenb├╝ttel, #Helmst. 164 (190), 230 (263), 347 (382), 417 (452), 435 (470), and 445 (480), several works are by Hugo de S. Caro. The Staatsbibliothek in Munich also possesses a manuscript from the community, #Clm 28301, as does the Staatabibliothek Preu├čischer Kulturbesitz in Berlin, #Theol. lat 4o348. The National Library in Vienna possesses a manuscript of "Die besessense Schwester," circa 1475, #3006. The Museuam Plantin-Moretum in Antwerp has a Missal of the Carthusian order from the house, # Lat. 103 (anc. 29).

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Contributors Notes
 

Almost all of the manuscript sources appear to come from the male Carthusian house rather than the earlier female Augustinian community. Further research is necessary.

 
Date Started
 
1233
 
Date Finished
 
1440
 
Length
 
1353