domus S. Clarae (Herford)
Community ID
 
1382
 
Alternate Names
 
Clarissarum
 
Town
 
Herford
 
Dedication
 
S. Clare
 
Date Founded
 
1325 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1500-1599 (sixteenth century)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Claresn by the fifteenth century
 
Rule
 
Clarissen
 
Foundation Information
 

This community was originally a beguinage. In 1325 the community appears in a document transferring it to the possession of the convent Marienfeld. Since the mid-fifteenth century the convent adhered to the Clarissen rule. The community dissolved after the Reformation.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Documents are located in the Staatsarchiv in M√ľnster, no. 264. A calendar dating from the fifteenth century, held in the episcopal archive in Trier, may have belonged to this community, #Abt. 95, 45.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1325
 
Date Finished
 
1500
 
Length
 
644