Domus Dei
Community ID
 
1072
 
Alternate Names
 
S. John the Evangelist and in 1425 , Maysondieu.
 
Town
 
Ipswich
 
Diocese
 
Norwich
 
Region
 
Suffolk
 
Medieval Location
 
During the time of Abot Simon of Bury the hospital moved from a smaller building. In 1425 Maysondieu was located outside the south gate of Bury S. Edmonds.
 
Modern Location
 
Bury S. Edmunds
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
The hopital was dedicated to God and to S. John the Evangelist
 
Date Founded
 
1248-1256
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Foundation Information
 

Originally, the community was part of the male monastery of Bury and the administrator was a prior. Sisters began to appear during the period of Abbot Edmund when it is a hospice for the poor and sick. Hence the founders are considered Abbot Edmund, Prior Richard, and a male monastery in Burgundy.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Other members of the hospital community include 2 wardens and an almoner.

 
Dependency Of
 

The hospital is a dependency of the male monastery Bury S. Edmunds

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
  
Visitations
 

Masters or chaplains were instituted by the Abbot of Bury.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The hospital was patronized by the male monastery Bury S. Edmunds. The major benefactors of the hospital were the chaplains: Robert Stabler, William Say and John Redgrave. In 1392 all three had royal license to donate property.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

6 Hospitals have a place name indicatng dependency on the male monastery of Bury.

 
Admin. Notes
 

from benefactors field: to maintain a hospital? Sisters appear in the first document? NO DOCUMENT LISTED /

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

Ordinances regarding community were created by Abbott Edmund as noted in the first document. They were revised by Abbot Simon.

 
Date Started
 
1248
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
978