Clementhorpe
Community ID
 
848
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Clements , York, York Clementhorpe
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the walls of West Riding in Fishergate next to S. Andrew's a male Gilbertine house.
 
Modern Location
 
York
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Clement
 
Date Founded
 
1130 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1536
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by the Archbishop Thurstan of York. It appears to have had an anchorage attached to or nearby (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 30).

 
Population Counts
 

There were 16 in 1536. According to Knowles and Hadcock, there were 10-12 nuns, but about the time of suppression there were 13 nuns besides the prioress. There were 8 nuns and 9 servants when the house was dissolved in 1536 (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 221).

 
Dependency Of
 

Archbishop Geoffrey of Yorkshire attempted to make this community a dependency of Godstow Godstow in Oxford. The nuns appealed to the pope, stating that from their foundation they had been free from any dependence Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 195). According to Thompson, they appear to have won, as there is no subsequent evidence of a link between Godstow and Clementhorpe.

 
Assets/Property
 

Clementhorpe owned land and collected rents in York, Otley, Cawood, Southwell. The earliest datable reference to the nunnery of Clementhorpe is a charter of circa 1125 or 1133 in which Archbishop Thurstan notified the dean and chapter and all his tenants that he had granted to the nuns at S. Clement the site on which their buildings had been costructed, two carucates of land, 20 shillings from an annual fair and other specified tithes and grants of land from the archiepiscopal demesne (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 194). The dean and chapter subsequently confirmed these grants to the nuns in a separate charter.

 
Income
 

Income was received from the Bishops of Monkton and Wilton. In 1535 the community's net income was valued over 55 pounds.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Conversi/ae and servants
 

There were 9 servants in 1536.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0276]
[CN=2EE28] Fishergate S. Andrews? not a community listed in the database S. Andrews is listed as York male monastery community 872

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1130
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1395