Chester (Early Foundation)
Community ID
 
2784
 
Town
 
Cheshire
 
Dedication
 
St. Werburg?
 
Date Founded
 
1066, or before, possibly as early as 875
 
Date Terminated
 
1093
 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

King Edgar gave 17 hides of land to a community in Cheshire in 958. It is not clear whether or not women religious lived at this community.

 
Relics
 

St. Werburg, a seventh century Mercian saint, was was translated to Chester between 907 and 958.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

William of Malmesbury states that Werburg professed her vows at Chester and that the minister of women there survived until 1093 when Hugh, the earl of Chester, replaced the women with monks (De gestis pontificum Anglorum libri quinque, 308). However, information about the life of St. Werburg does not support this. The Domesday book refers to land belonging to St. Mary's monastery but the gender of the monastery is not clear (Domesday Book: a survey of the counties of England, vol. 1, fo 263ra; see also Veiled Women, vol. 2, 64, n. 5).

 
Contributors
 
Ruth Robbins
 
Contributors Notes
 

For the later foundation of a female religious house at Chester see S. Mary's Chester.

 
Date Started
 
1066
 
Date Finished
 
1093