Blithbury
Community ID
 
1062
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Giles
 
Town
 
Coventry
 
Diocese
 
Coventry
 
Region
 
Staffordshire
 
Medieval Location
 
According to Elkins this community was founded on the site of an antique male monastery.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
Giles
 
Date Founded
 
1129-1147.
 
Date Terminated
 
1534
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

The community was founded possibly as a male monastery in 1148. However further research is need for verification. It was incorporated by Brewood Black Ladies after 1275. Thompson postulates an eremitical origin for the community and suggests Hugh de Ridware as a probable founder (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 218).

 
Notable Heads
 

The only known head is NULL, some time in the late 14th century

 
Incorporated By
  
Manuscript Sources
 

British Library Harleian MS 2044, fo. 123.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

According to Knowles, the termination date is before 1535.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

At Blithbury, early charters record grants being made to 2 monks, Guthemunde and Saxe, who were probably hermits. The group apparently came to include women, and a confirmation of a grant to the 2 men refers to nuns and to those of both sexes who might be received in the future (Thompson, 26-27).

 
Date Started
 
1129
 
Date Finished
 
1534
 
Length
 
996