Bersenbrück
Community ID
 
2456
 
Alternate Names
 
Bersenbrugge
 
Town
 
Osnabrück
 
Diocese
 
Osnabrück
 
Modern Location
 
Osnabrück
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary; S. Vincent
 
Date Founded
 
1231
 
Date Terminated
 
1786
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of Cistercian nuns was founded in 1231 by Count Ott von Ravensberg-Vechta and his wife, Sophia, the countess of Oldenburg. The foundation was richly endowed.

 
Relative Wealth
 

The foundation was richly endowed.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The City-Museum (Stadt-Museum) in Osnabrück contains a manuscript of the Apocalypse, dating circa 1300 from the convent.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Osnabrücker Urkundenbuch.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, Vol. 1, p. 82.
Verzeichnis der Stifter und Klöster Niedersachsens vor der Reformation, p. 6-7.
HOENE, Otto zu. Die Apokalypse aus dem Kloster Bersenbruck (San Francisco, 1970).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1786 the convent was transformed into a secular women's chapter for evangelical women. According to Hoogeweg, the community still exists as such.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1231
 
Date Finished
 
1786
 
Length
 
736