Bergedorf
Community ID
 
1404
 
Alternate Names
 
Berchthorpe, Bergtorpe (as monastery: Hude)
 
Town
 
Bremen
 
Diocese
 
Bremen, now Münster
 
Medieval Location
 
In the earldom/county of Oldenburg.
 
Modern Location
 
In Niedersachsen, in the district of Oldenburg, in the free-Hansa city of Bremen.
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary (1194/98)
 
Date Founded
 
1192-1198
 
Date Terminated
 
1217-1226
 
Religious Order
 
unknown
 
Foundation Information
 

The exact foundation of the convent is unclear. The first documentary mention of the convent appears in a document of the Archbishop Hartwig II of Bremen, dated between 1194-1198. The convent was already established and had moved to Bergedorf at this time, although there is a reference to the time when it lay in Bremen by S. Michael (Hofmeister, 62). According to tradition, the convent was founded by Count Moritz I von Oldenburg and his mother, Kunigunde, on the site of the murder of his brother, Count Christian von Oldenburg. (Christian was murdered on his return from a crusade in Palestine circa 1192). Count Moritz moved the nuns from Bremen to the new site of Bergedorf. The convent was placed under the archbishop of Bremen (Hofmeister, 63). It is also unclear when the nuns were replaced by Cistercian monks from the monastery of Marienthal by Helmstedt. This may have occurred any time between the death of Moritz circa 1217 and the entrance of the Aboot Konrad von Rastede, circa 1226. According to Hoogeweg, the monks settled here circa 1231.

 
Population Counts
 

unknown

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

It is unclear whether or how the convent of Bergedorf was connected to the monastery of S. Michael. It is likely that the nuns used the church of S. Michael when they resided in Bremen.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

After its transfer to Bergedorf, it is likely that the convent fell under the advocacy of the counts of Oldenburg.

 
Relative Wealth
 

There is little information concerning the economic status of Bergedorf. Hofmeister believes the convent was poor.

 
Assets/Property
 

Two ministers of the church in Bremen, the brothers Gerward and Wendeler bestowed a property in Redingstede, and one later in Utbremen by Bremen, on the convent for the salvation of their souls. The convent exchanged this property for tithes in Bergedorf (Hofmeister, 62). It is unclear from which family these two brothers stemmed and whether they were involved in the initial foundation of the community (Hofmeister, 62).

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

It is questionable whether any convent buildings were erected in Bremen prior to the convent's move to Bergedorf; the location of the convent in Bergedorf is also uncertain (Hofmeister, 64).

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

There are no material remains from the convent.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Only two documents from the nunnery survive: an original in the Huder Klosterarchiv, the other is a handwritten copy from the Wilhadistfites in Bremen from the fourteenth century. These are located in the Staatsarchiv Bremen and are published in Schmidtmayer, A. Verzeichnis der Urkunden des bremischen Staatsarchivs von 1434 an.

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Annales Stadenses auctore Alberto;
[2]Bremen Urkundenbuch
[3]Historia monasterii Rastedensis, ed. G. Waitz, MGH, SS 25, ed. J.M. Lappenbeg.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Bergedorf
Verzeichnis der Stifter und Klöster Niedersachsens vor der Reformation
MUHLE, D. K. Das Kloster Hude im Herzogthum Oldenburg. Oldenburg, 1826.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1192
 
Date Finished
 
1217
 
Length
 
2375